Some things that you should know about me:
1. I am only in my mid-twenties but sometimes I feel like an old lady. This means that staying up late on a Friday night is really tough for me. I’d rather bake some cookies, read a book, watch a film and go to sleep early.
2. I really love my football team, Arsenal. I like them enough that I’m willing to get up at 6.30am to watch them play (when it’s game time in England), even when I’ve been out latelatelate the night before.
3. If I don’t get enough sleep I’m liable to be grouchy and my appetite voracious. Happily, I have friends who indulge me in brunch escapades to make up for my tired-grouchy state of being.
4. I hate the cold. I also hate really hot weather. I have a strong belief that my body does a terrible job of regulating temperature properly. My husband thinks I have made this up in my head. All I know is that Minnesota winters are evil.
5. I like to prepare for the onslaught of Minnesota winter by arming myself with ear warmers, mittens, long underwear, down jackets, and fuzzy warm boots. I then still bitch endlessly about the cold.
6. Making soup is one of my absolute favourite things to do when the weather turns. It comforts me, warms me, and provides mega amounts of leftovers for lunches.
I heard that the weather was about to take a turn for the worse with our coldest week this season on tap. So, I bought a super warm, down coat and then I came home and made this soup. Totally preparing for hibernation.
It’s a creamy, spicy soup, full of delicious root vegetable flavour. If you like, you could sub the coconut milk for half and half. It would be just as creamy and delicious. Not everyone loves coconut milk…I don’t know who they are or if I could be friends with them but I’m told they exist.
I’d also go as far as to say that toasted, buttered baguette or sourdough is practically essential with this soup. It takes the edge off of the creamy sweetness and adds a salty, crunchy tang. Perfection.
Roasted Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup with Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 4 carrots, peeled, chopped into the same size as sweet potato cubes
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small can coconut milk
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- garnish: roasted and salted pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Combine sweet potatoes and carrots with oil and spices. Roast in single layer on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet for about 40 minutes.
2. In a blender combine roasted vegetables, coconut milk and chicken broth. Puree till smooth. Reheat the soup slowly in a heavy bottomed pot. Serve soup in bowls garnished with pumpkin seeds.
Note: I would recommend being conservative with your coconut milk to begin with. Add maybe 3/4 can and 1 cup chicken stock, give it a quick blend and see how it tastes. Continue adding to your own taste.