This dish looks way too special (to me) to have been a Saturday afternoon lunch sitting at home in front of my computer. But that’s exactly what it was. I glanced into my fridge, seeing pretty pink radishes, leftover cucumber and a pint of cherry tomatoes I’d bought instinctively after craving this salad again.
I had an amazingly relaxed Saturday after a hectic week (why does going away for a few days wreak havoc on everything?) sleeping as long as I wanted, enjoying coffee and hot oatmeal with Dan and then wandering down to the farmers’ market. My only purchase was fresh mint mainly because I cannot resist it (and it’s so much cheaper there) but also because I had a sense I wanted to make something with it involving those ingredients I mentioned.
I don’t know about you but when I have a few random ingredients I’m not sure what to do with I google them and see what happens. Inspiration for this recipe came in a big way from this Martha Stewart recipe.
If you wanted to you could grill the chicken rather than searing it (my Saturday was also a rainy one). Either way the balsamic will give it a lovely caramelised crunch. Holy yes. This is a great low key dish for guests and would be stellar over a bank holiday/holiday weekend.
The balsamic-y browned chicken is livened up immeasurably by all the flavours popping off in your mouth from the relish. Roasted cherry tomatoes are sweet and bright, the radish adds crunch and spice, while the cucumber is refreshing and complemented perfectly by the red onion, fresh mint, lemon and garlic.
Balsamic Chicken with Radish, Cucumber, Cherry Tomato & Mint Relish
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into large rectangular chunks
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 an English cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, torn into small pieces, plus a few sprigs to garnish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the sliced cherry tomatoes on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast for about 30 minutes or until at your desired level of dryness (careful they don’t burn!). Once done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- While tomatoes are roasting, prep the rest of your vegetables and set aside. Heat canola oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brush balsamic vinegar over them. Fry, turning once, about 6-7 minutes each side, until cooked through. Once cooked, remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Mix together the lemon juice and olive oil, tasting as you go. Add garlic and season with salt. Use less lemon juice if you prefer a less tart flavour. Toss with the radishes, cucumber, red onion, mint, and cherry tomatoes.
- Place chicken on plates and spoon relish over it. Garnish with more fresh mint and serve.