This is a super easy and quick summer supper idea which came about from one of those great open-the-fridge-and-see-what-you’ve-got moments.
Sweetcorn and tomatoes are both wildly sweet and flavourful right now and what better to complement them than salty bacon? It’s got all the right elements for perfect bite after perfect bite: sweet and crunchy sweetcorn; soft and juicy tomatoes; chewy, salty bacon; and just the right amount of seasoning to top it all off.
Simple to the max – since it’s just throwing things in a pan one after the other – it would be excellent boxed up and taken on a picnic, served alongside bbqed chicken, scooped up with bread or tortilla chips, or served as part of brunch. You get the picture: it’s versatile. Dig in.
Sweetcorn, Bacon and Tomato Saute
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 ears of corn, kernels sliced off
- 1 large heirloom tomato, cored, halved, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add corn kernels; season with pepper and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Cook until corn is coated in bacon fat and heated through, about 4 minutes. Stir in red onions. Remove from heat, add tomatoes and serve immediately.